Our General English courses are perfect if you want to improve your all-round English skills and learn how to communicate effectively.
What does the course involve?
Our General English courses are perfect if you want to improve your all-round English skills and learn how to communicate effectively. We offer teaching for various levels – from beginner to advanced.
In addition to course books, teachers use a variety of authentic and topical materials and activities. Our teachers encourage participation in conversational activities to make lessons interesting. These courses include a number of exercises focusing on comprehension, speaking, listening, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary development and cultural experience. You will be given regular homework and at the end of the week, you will revise what you have learnt.
All students while enrolling will need to take a multiple-choice placement test and have a short speaking interview in order for us to establish whether your English is at a suitable level for you to follow the course.
What’s included in the price?
- Welcome information pack
- Language level placement test on arrival
- Weekly progress tests
- Regular homework
- Use of our Computer Learning Centre
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the school
- Certificate of completion at the end of your course
Please be aware that you may need to buy a coursebook for a separate fee of £40. Please talk to the administrator for further information.
Why choose the General English course?
This course is ideal for you if:
- You want to learn English for social reasons, work reasons or to further your study
- You want to improve your everyday English language skills and be able to communicate effectively with a variety of people
- The course has a balanced programme: speaking, listening, reading, writing, pronunciation, grammar
- The delivery is varied from pair and group work, student-led input, project work, and private study
- The course focuses on living and communicating in real-life situations in Britain
- There are regular progress tests and tutorials
- The course is available from Beginner to Advanced (See table below)
- Follow-on courses available: IELTS Preparation or one-to-one classes (on request).
- The course focuses on the 4 skills of writing (sentences, paragraphs, essays, reports), reading (specific information, main idea), speaking (discussions, seminars, presentations) and listening (lectures, live lectures, interaction)
- Lots of opportunities to practise your English and build on your vocabulary, spoken accuracy and pronunciation
- It also develops study skills including research, referencing, paraphrasing, note-taking, summarising)
Language Competence and Equivalency Chart
|Competence||Description||TOEFL IBT||IELTS||Cambridge Exam||CEFR|
|Advanced||Fluency, accuracy and appropriateness approaching that of a native speaker. Can understand and use complex and idiomatic language.||94||7.0+||Cambridge English: Proficiency||C1+|
|Pre-Advanced||Fluent and accurate in most situations. Occasional mistakes with appropriateness and when attempting more complex expressions.||80||6.5||Cambridge English: Advanced||C1|
|Upper-intermediate||Confident and effective communicator in a wide range of situations. Noticable lapses in fluency and accuracy with complex structures or ideas.||61||6.0||Cambridge English: First||B2|
|Intermediate||Can communicate independently and effectively on familiar topics. Frequent lapses in accuracy and fluency in more demanding situations.||50||5.5||Cambridge English: Preliminary and Cambridge English: First||B1|
|Lower Intermediate||Can appear confident and fluent when communicating in familiar and non-pressuring situations. Regular lapses in accuracy, fluency and appropriateness.||41||5.0||Cambridge English: Preliminary||B1|
|Pre-intermediate||Can communicate and understand in a fair range of familiar situations. Sustained communication restricted by problems with fluency and accuracy.||29||4.0||Cambridge English: Preliminary and Cambridge English: Key||A2|
|Elementary||Can answer basic questions and communicate some information slowly. Vocabulary and understanding limited to everyday situations.||19||2.5||Not Applicable||A1|
|Beginner||Very little or no previous knowledge of English. Can use and understand simple vocabulary and phrases. Considerable assistance needed to communicate.||0||0||Not Applicable||N/A|
You have the option to take additional one-to-one lessons to improve specific areas such as your vocabulary, learning about idioms or general pronunciation practice.
One-to-one lessons are useful just before an examination, job interview or university interview.
You can take one-to-one lessons in areas including:
- Exam Preparation
- Academic Study Skills
General English starts every Monday (except public holidays and on 24 December as we are closed for the Christmas holidays)
|Course||No. Weeks||15 Hours Per Week (20 Lessons)||22.5 Hours Per Week (30 Lessons)|